Fires that start in kitchens are very common. In the 2010 to 2011 financial year 312 fires started in residential kitchens in Western Australia causing damage estimated at $5,050,700.00.
- When cooking, never leave food unattended on a stove
- Avoid wearing loose clothing when cooking as it may catch alight
- Never hang items such as tea towels near stoves or on cooking appliances
- Take care when cooking with fats and oils
- Turn off cooking appliances after use
- Clean and maintain cooking appliances, exhaust fans and rangehood filters.
If oil or fat catches alight:
- Turn off the heat source
- Do not move flaming oil or fat
- Cover with lid or wooden chopping board
- Use an extinguisher if available.
- If an extinguisher is unavailable, call triple zero (000)