DFES - Department of Fire and Emergency Services
000 for fire or life threatening emergencies
132 500 for SES emergency assistance
13 DFES (13 3337) for emergency information
General enquiries | Hearing or speech impaired contacts
SHARE: Refer this page to a friend

Frequently Asked Questions


How do I apply?

When applications are open, you will be able to apply through the DFES website or on jobs.wa.gov.au.

Back to top


Do you take applications from overseas or interstate applicants?

Yes, but you will need to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident to be appointed as a firefighter. You will also need to make sure you are available for testing days, which are held in Perth, Western Australia.

Back to top


What licence do I need?

A Heavy Rigid (HR-B) Licence. An automatic HR licence (HR-A) is not sufficient.

Back to top


What qualifications do I need?

There are no minimum qualifications but you must obtain first aid (HLTAID003), HR-B licence and meet the citizenship requirements.

Back to top


Can I apply if I have a medical condition?

Applicants undergo medical assessment as part of the selection process. There are some conditions which may preclude you from being successful but assessment is made on a case-by-case basis.

Conditions which may impede your ability to carry out firefighting tasks include:

  • Diabetes Mellitus
  • Asthma
  • Joint replacement
  • Degenerative arthritis
  • Some colour vision deficiencies
  • Hearing loss
  • Vision loss

Back to top


I have applied previously. Do I have to apply again?

Yes. Each recruitment campaign is a separate selection process.

Back to top


Are there age restrictions?

No, but in order to obtain your HR-B drivers licence you need to have held your C class licence for a minimum of two years. The minimum age requirement for a C class licence is 17 years.

Back to top



Back to top



 Feedback Collection

Was this information useful?