DFES - Department of Fire and Emergency Services
000 for fire or life threatening emergencies
132 500 for SES emergency assistance
13 DFES (13 3337) for emergency information
General enquiries | Hearing or speech impaired contacts

Frequently Asked Questions

For FAQs relating to bushfires or Alerts, click here.

  • How do I make a donation?

    For information about donations, please click here

  • How do I donate an old car to DFES?

    DFES collects old cars of any make or model for use in emergency training procedures. By donating your unwanted car you are playing a part in potentially helping to save lives.

    Donated cars require a steering wheel, seats, panels, glass windows, a windscreen and four wheels. An engine is preferred but is not necessary.

    Vehicles must also be unregistered and proof of ownership must be presented before it is accepted.

    To donate a car, please contact Bombsaway by phone, (08) 9444 4545, or email.

  • How do I order a printed DFES publication?

    To order a printed copy of a DFES publication, please complete the Publications order form.

  • How do I apply to become a Firefighter?

    Click here for application information and to register your interest.

  • How do I apply to become a Volunteer?

    DFES encourages members of the public to enquire about joining their local emergency services. For information visit the DFES Volunteer Recruitment Website.

  • Where can I purchase Ember Protection Screens for my evaporative air conditioning unit?

    Due to Government regulations, DFES is unable to recommended specific vendors of these screens.

    Click here for DFES’s information fact sheet about Ember Protection Screens. DFES recommends that individuals contact a Steel fabrication company and request the fabrication of a cover to the details specified in this sheet.

  • How many mains powered smoke alarms do I require?

    This will depend on the design of your property, in particular the number of bedrooms, how far they are separated and how many levels in your house. Class 1b buildings (hostels/guest houses/bed and breakfast premises) require smoke alarms to be installed in each sleeping occupancy.

    Click here for additional information about smoke alarm installation.

  • What are the new legislative requirements for smoke alarms?

    Smoke alarm legislation requires homes and rental properties in Western Australia to have mains powered smoke alarms professionally installed before they can be sold, tenanted or hired for payment.

    Effective from 1 October 2011 smoke alarm regulations apply for existing dwellings that are made available for hire. This includes boarding and guest houses, farm stays, short term holiday accommodation homes and apartments.

    Additionally all landlords who own or lease a dwelling with a residential tenancy agreement in place must have mains powered smoke alarms installed by 1 October 2011.

    For more information please click here.

  • How do I arrange a visit from a fire brigade to my school?

    Fire brigades typically provide visits to all year 3 classes at primary schools in their jurisdictions. Schools are invited to contact their local fire stations and arrange a time for a visit.

    Teachers must bear in mind that fire crews may be called to an incident and that their visit may need to be rescheduled.

  • Does DFES produce or distribute memorabilia including badges?

    Unfortunately, memorabilia is unavailable as these are produced especially for Western Australian career firefighters and emergency services staff only.

  • Can I make a financial donation to DFES?

    DFES is a Government authority that cannot donations from the public, it is best to contact your local volunteer fire or emergency service to see how you can help.

    Following a major emergency an appeal may be announced to help those who have been affected, these details will be communicated through the media.

  • Can I hire a fire truck for my child's birthday?

    Unfortunately this is not possible due to operational obligations. However DFES encourages people to visit the DFES Education and Heritage Centre located on Murray Street, Perth to view a range of fire appliances.

SHARE: Refer this page to a friend

General Enquiries


Please use the contact form below to submit your enquiry to DFES.


Do not use this contact form to report an emergency or to seek emergency information. It is only for general enquiries to DFES and is not monitored 24-7

To stay up to date during an emergency, visit the EmergencyWA website, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter, or listen to local radio.

Do not use this contact form to report an emergency.

  • Dial Triple zero (000) to report a fire or life threatening emergency.
  • Dial 132 500 for SES assistance during cyclones, floods or storms.
  • For emergency information, visit the EmergencyWA website or call 13 DFES (13 3337) for recorded information.
  • For hearing or speech impaired assistance, please click here
Refer to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on the right to see if your query has already been addressed.

Note: As this form is for the lodgement of general enquiries to DFES, it is only monitored during normal business hours. Enquiry forms submitted at other times will be attended to on the next available business day.

Nature of Enquiry
Your Enquiry
Do you require a response? *
Title (eg. Mr, Mrs)
First Name *  
Last Name
Email *  
Address Line 1
Address Line 2
Post Code